July 23, 2019

Everest Base Camp : Day 10 - Pangboche to Monjo

I had a chat with the lodge owner over breakfast. She first asked me where I came from. Upon hearing Malaysia, she was so excited cos she's been to the country before. She went on telling me that during low season, she would go travel and also visit her son who's studying in Melbourne. Wow.. this teahouse business is really good.

leaving Pangboche

We left Pangboche at 8am. Gotta start early today as we're gonna descend further down to Namche Bazaar, and if we're early, we'll press on to Monjo. 



We descended and crossed the river, and then walked uphill again. I thought it would be easy at this point, cos we're going down the mountain, but my muscles were still tired. Took a quick rest at Tengboche to recharge before the steep descend to the bottom of the valley.


I'm so gonna miss this view

Passing by hikers on their way up, I understood their miserable tired face. I had been in the exact same situation, stopping at every turn on my way up before. Later on, I met Ali. What a surprise! I haven't seen him and his clients since Phakding. He was surprised to learn that I have a porter now. Told him my situation and he said I made the right decision. Don't risk your life on the mountain.

 sherpas bringing up construction material


 descending to Phunke Tenga

Ama Dablam is loveeee

Then it's time to go up again to Namche Bazaar. We stopped for lunch at Kyangjuma (3,600 metres), and reached Namche at 3pm.

hashed brown with fried eggs for lunch




reaching Namche


yaks ready to work

We are now 1,725 metres lower than the day before, and my lungs were happily filled with oxygen again. Namche is the same like a week ago. The streets were busy and there were a lot of trekkers, and all the shops were open. And it was warm. I bought souvenirs and changed my emergency USD cash to pay Dinesh when we arrive in Lukla and finish this trek.

Half an hour later, we continued trekking. Another steep descend coming. When we were on the high suspension bridge, I had another nostalgic moments. This adventure is really coming to an end. I'm gonna miss all these suspension bridges. As much as I wanted to finish this trek, I love it here. And I love all these bridges however scary they are.



 looking down from the high suspension bridge


i look horrible but who cares

We finally returned to the lowlands after the last steep descend back to the valley. The remaining trail was very relaxing along the Dudh Kosi river. 


Dudh Kosi river

Passed the last check point for the day at the Sagarmatha National Park entrance and reached Mount Kailash Lodge at almost sunset. Yay!!

hashbrown with fried egg again for dinner

Elevation at Pangboche:  3,985 m
Elevation at Monjo:  2,855 m
Elevation change:  -1,130 m
Distance: 23 km
Duration:  9 hours

Amount spent:
Breakfast - Rs 480
Lunch - Rs 750
Dinner - Rs 670
Night stay at Mount Kailash Lodge, double room - Rs 500
Souvenirs - Rs 300
Total = Rs 2700

Day 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 9 | 10 | 11

No comments: