September 15, 2015

Laos : Exploring Luang Prabang - Kuang Si Waterfall

Continuation from here...

I've read review about Kuang Si Waterfall in TripAdvisor and wanted to go but I was too lazy to figure out how to go there by myself. haha.. The multi-tiered waterfall is approximately 30 km south of Luang Prabang so yeah.. cycling was not an option for me. Tuk-tuk pulak is usually expensive for one person.

So when I came across the tour from one of the many travel agencies in town, I just signed up for it. Actually, similar with the trip to Pak Ou Caves, it's just a transport-only tour. Which was fine by me cos the price was still reasonable.

We departed at 2 pm and reached the park about 40 minutes later.



Food stalls and souvenir shops lined up the entrance of the park.





Paid the park entrance fee and we were free to spend the time on our own for 2 hours and a half.

Upon entering the park, one of the first highlights is the Tat Kuang Si Bear Rescue Centre. The centre cares for bears rescued from the illegal poaching and trading. Currently, it houses more than 20 bears, which are all Asiatic Black Bears.





So cute! haha..



After that, I just hiked up the trail for the waterfalls.


It's not that far.. in about 5 minutes, I reached the first pool of sparkling, turquoise water.


The lower cascades of the falls.

Then, just a short hike up is the gorgeous icy-blue pools. 


Standing there, I was unsure whether the color of the pools is natural. They look unreal kan? Like too blue to be true.. haha..

But I've seen something similar like this before in Pamukkale. I've learnt that the color is like that cos Kuang Si Waterfall apparently is a travertine waterfalls. 




This section is the most happening area. A lot of people were swimming in the large pool and jumping from the rope-swing. I spent quite a long time here, chilling at the side of the pool watching people swung from the branches like Tarzan and Jane. Damn.. I wished I brought my swimwear. 

The park is equipped with change rooms and public toilets so you won't have problems to have a picnic and a dip here. 



The trail is not over yet so I walked up further, passing more and more scenic falls along the way before the main waterfall came into view.







Beautiful!!


There are trails to climb to the top of the falls but I had to pass it since I was short on time.


 
Kuang Si Waterfall is open daily from 8 am to 5.30 pm
Minivan to Kuang Si Waterfall is ~50,000 Kip (depending on travel agency), Admission is 20,000 Kip
 
 To sum up, personally I think the highlight of Kuang Si Waterfall is not necessarily the main waterfall but rather the cascading turquoise pools amidst the lush jungle. It was magical!

If you ever visit Luang Prabang, Kuang Si Waterfall is a must see attraction. Make it a point to spend at least half a day there. You won't regret it! 
 
 

No comments: