October 13, 2017

Halal Food in Tokyo

The first time I went to Japan was in 2006. I remember back then, it was quite hard to find halal food.
 Fast forward 10 years, Japan has become a Muslim-friendly country. Even though I usually go for Japanese meals like udon, soba, tempura, and sushi (I love Japanese food..totally can live here haha), I love the fact that I have a lot of choices for halal food whenever I crave to eat chicken or beef or ramen. Most importantly, I can eat happily without having to tell the waitress, no pork, no meat, no alcohol etc.

If you go to Tokyo Tourist Information Center, you can get these Muslim guides for the list of restaurants and mosques in Tokyo.



There's also a number of Facebook pages that you can follow like Halal Media Japan, Halal Japan and Muslim Friendly Information in Japan. The information on halal food and halal restaurants in Japan are aplenty. God bless them for making our trips easier.

I'll bring you to the places that I've tried in Tokyo. Most of them are along the Yamanote Line so it's easy to go to the area, although the walk to the actual restaurant may be complicated haha. But fret not, you'll find them with Google Maps or whatever.

Shibuya - Gyumon

Finding this restaurant is tricky cos it's a small place tucked in an alley. We couldn't find it at first. Looking at Google Maps, we already arrived at the destination after about 10 minutes walk from Shibuya Station but the restaurant was nowhere to be seen. Luckily I checked out the alley off the main street, and there it was.

*pix from google

The restaurant is quite popular so you might want to make reservation in advance because seats are limited.


There's only 3 items on the menu.




I rarely eat beef overseas because I'm a chicken person. Everywhere I go, I usually order chicken instead of beef. But this time, I wanna eat beef meat. We wanted to try different types of meat so we went with the 4000 yen Halal BBQ set. 


The portions are just about right for 1 person to eat.


My verdict: Honestly it's rather expensive but once in a while if you feel like eating beef meat, then this would be the place to visit! The meal was delicious so I will definitely come again.

Address: 3-14-5 Shibuya, Shibuya 150-0002, Tokyo Prefecture
Access: Shibuya Station New South Exit. You can refer this website for directions with photos.
Phone: +81 3-5469-2911
Opening hours: Mon-Sat  5pm ~ 4am, Sun  5pm ~ 11.30pm


Shibuya - Hanasaka Ji-san

This restaurant is very easy to locate but sometimes you might miss it as the entrance door is quite small and have to go downstairs to the basement..




We visited during dinner time so we ordered Halal Gozen set.


shabu-shabu

The staffs here are very friendly. If you've never tried shabu-shabu (thinly sliced meat, boiled quickly and dipped in sauce) before, they will be glad to guide you how to prepare it.



My verdict: The restaurant was small but cosy. The wagyu beef was amazing! It was tender and juicy. The bento was also very nice. Everything was fresh. A bit on the pricey side but it's worth it.

Address : B1 3-22 Sakura Building, Sakuragaoka, Shibuya 150-0031, Tokyo Prefecture
Access: 5 minutes walk from Shibuya Station South Exit
Phone: +81 3-3496-7777
Opening hours : Mon-Sat 11.30am ~ 3pm, 5pm ~ midnight, Sun 11.30am ~ 4pm, 5pm ~ 11pm

Also recommended to make reservation before coming. I came once during dinner time without reservation and they turned me down cos the restaurant was full.


Yoyogi - Tanden  [CLOSED]

You can't really enjoy Japan if you don't try yakiniku (grilled meat). I went to this restaurant for my first Japanese barbeque experience. The wagyu that I tried was superbThis restaurant is located close to Yoyogi Station. 

 Wanted to visit during my trip recently but too bad, I found out that the restaurant has closed its business. :(









Shinjuku - Yoshiya

This restaurant is a savior because it's located inside the busy Shinjuku Station. It is very convenient if you're shopping in the area or arriving/departing from the station.



Menu is limited to only 3 meals but better than nothing right?

We ordered Obento Style.



My verdict: Good place is you wanna try some traditional Japanese meals. Price is reasonable and no reservation needed.

Address: Shinjuku Metro Food Street B1F, 1-1-2 Nishi-Shinjuku, Shinjuku, Tokyo Prefecture
Access: Near to Shinjuku Station West Exit. Refer here for direction with photos.
Phone: +81 3-5321-0448
Opening hours: 11am-10.30pm daily

Will continue in part 2 with more restaurants.

No comments: