October 17, 2017

Halal Food in Tokyo - Part 2

Continuation from part 1

If you use public transportation in Tokyo, I'm sure you know Yamanote Line because the loop line is one of Tokyo's busiest and most important lines, connecting most of Tokyo's major stations and urban centres.

Halal places in Shibuya and Shinjuku is on the western side of the Yamanote Line. So now I'm bringing you to halal places on the eastern side of the line.

Ueno - Chicken Man

My go to halal place because I love chicken :D . They serve roast chicken at very reasonable price. It is also located at one of my favorite place for bargain shopping, Ameyayokocho or in short, Ameyoko. I usually come here to buy fresh fruits and snacks because they are cheaper here.




My order will usually be the Chicken Rice or the Karaage (karaage is fried chicken btw).


My verdict: Cheap and simple yet satisfying meal. Never missed to come here whenever I visit Japan.

Access: Ueno Station. Just walk straight along the Ameyayokocho street market.
Opening hours: 10:00-20:00 daily

Chicken Man is situated in between two other halal places, the Doner Kebab and Oscar Kebab.
I've never actually eaten the kebabs because I will always go to Chicken Man whenever I'm there. Should try it on my next visit.

Ueno - Doner Kebab




They have 2 stalls at Ameyoko; one at the main street, the other one just on the next street.

Ueno - Oskar Kebab


The kebabs are 500 yen so it's really good for those on tight budget or for those who just wanna grab a quick meal.

From Ueno Station, you can take subway Ginza Line to get to Asakusa because there are more halal options there.

Asakusa - Naritaya

Also one of my favorite.









My usual order, Ramen and Karaage Set.


My verdict: Definitely a place you mustn't miss if you wanna try authentic halal ramen. I love the taste and most importantly, they are cheap. The staffs are very friendly. There's also prayer room. Highly recommended after a day of sightseeing in Asakusa!

Address: 2-7-13 Asakusa, Nishisando Shotengai Arcade, Taito 111-0032, Tokyo Prefecture
Phone: +81 3 4285 9806
Opening hours: Mon-Fri  10am ~ 10pm, Sat-Sun  11am~11pm
Access: Walk left from Sensoji Temple towards the building in below photo.



Asakusa - Sushi Ken

We eat sushi freely in Japan because they are mostly seafood. But what I didn't realize (and I believe many of you don't know it as well) was that some of the seasonings in making the sushi are actually non-halal like mirin (type of rice wine similar to sake). Asakusa Sushi Ken is the first halal certified sushi restaurant in Japan.


They have counter seat on ground floor as well as Japanese style room upstairs.






My verdict: The sushi was fresh and delicious. I love the ambience, very Japanese. They also provide space for prayer. The price is fairly pricey but it's well worth a visit.

Address: 2-11-4 Asakusa, Taito 111-0032, Tokyo Prefecture
Phone: +81 3-5246-6547
Opening hours: Mon-Sat 12pm ~ 2pm, 5pm ~ 12am, Sun, Public Holiday 11:30am ~ 3pm, 5pm ~ 10pm
Access: About 5~10 minutes walk from Asakusa Station. Just Google Maps it.


Asakusa - Sekai Café

Tried this cafe because it is among the popular halal places in Tokyo.  




My verdict: Ambience was great and it was really cosy. The cafe also offers free Wi-Fi. Unfortunately I don't think I will come again. The menu looked tempting so I ordered the burger, but the taste was very bland. :( Maybe I should have ordered something else.

However, the good thing from my visit was that I met some representatives from Halal Japan Expo 2016, and they showed me how to go to the expo.

Address: 1-18-8 Asakusa, Taito 111-0032, Tokyo Prefecture
Phone: +81 3 6802 7300
Opening hours: 10am ~ 9pm
Access: From Kaminarimon, walk about 50m on Nakamise Dori, then turn left.


Asakusa - Saray Kebab

Haven't tried this. Just saw it while walking to Azuma Bridge towards Sumida River and Asahi HQ.






Access: Very near to Tawaramachi Station exit 3

If you're still on Yamanote Line, you can stop at Akihabara.

Akihabara - Star Kebab

Quick meal in Akihabara after all the shopping. Not all menus are halal though so please see carefully before you order.





Opening hours: 11am ~ 9pm
Access: Refer to their website

No comments: