August 7, 2015

Laos: Exploring Luang Prabang

Continuation from here..

I could've taken an overnight bus to Luang Prabang to save time and accommodation cost but I chose not to. Bumpy, small road winding through hilly area at night? Hmmm... sounds rather scary to me.

I chose to ride a minivan at 9 am the next day.

Here's the timetable and ticket price for your reference.


Ready to leave for Luang Prabang.


The view throughout the journey..


We stopped for a while at one of the roadside stalls to grab some snacks and toilet break.


Toilet use is charged 2000 Kip.




The kids I met at the stop. Sooo cute!!!

The journey took approximately 6 hours with a stop. We arrived at about 3 pm. The driver dropped us nearby the main road, so it was easy for all of us to move around from there.

I didn't have any booking for accommodation yet cos the hostel that I wanted to stay was fully booked. I walked to the hostel anyway to try my luck but still.. no beds were available that day so I just walked along the main road looking for a place to stay.

Luckily, I saw a hostel signboard and it brought me here.


The location is pretty good and there's available bed so I agreed right away. Checked in and rested for a while, and I was ready to go out again.

In case you don't know, Luang Prabang is the former capital of Laos and is now a UNESCO World Heritage city. French colonial buildings, beautiful wats and the mighty Mekong river make it one attractive destination to visit.

Tourist Information Centre in the town centre.


Operating hours:
Monday to Friday : 8 ~ 11.30 am / 1.30 ~ 4 pm
Saturday & Sunday : 9 ~ 11.30 am / 1 ~ 3.30 pm

The Tourist Information Centre is located right in front of the roundabout (on the left area of the map).


From the centre, you can easily walk or cycle to some of the attractions. Since it was already late, I just walked around to explore this charming little town. There's abundance of fancy little cafes, bakeries, boutiques, galleries and spas lining up the streets.




Taking a break from walking around, I bought some oranges and drink and then parked myself at the river front.





It was quite enjoyable watching the long boats passing through. I just sat at the river front till sunset.




While walking around earlier, I came across Nazim Restaurant.


Great! Seems like this halal restaurant has chains all over Laos. I had dinner at the restaurant afterwards.

Then I headed to the Night Market. The market is quite big. There are hundreds of stalls selling variety of souvenirs. Definitely better than the one in Vientiane.




 Spent quite some time browsing the stuffs at the night market before I headed back to the hostel and called it a day.

Next read : Pak Ou Caves & Lao Whisky

No comments: