December 13, 2017

Kyoto Mosque & Islamic Cultural Center

Muslim visitors to Kyoto need not worry when they go sightseeing around the city because there are a few places where they can perform the prayers.

I brought my family to visit the city recently so kena la proper sikit hehe. It's also good to show them how Muslim-friendly Japan is and why I love this country so much. So we went to Kyoto Mosque.

Kyoto Mosque is located at the basement of Islamic Cultural Center, in north-central Kyoto, close to the Imperial Palace.


look for this blue signage





The mosque and the Islamic Cultural Center are open from Tuesday to Saturday, 12pm ~ 6pm. If you wish to use the prayer facilities during closing hours, do make prior arrangements at the office.

The prayer hall can accommodate up to 110 people, with a curtain dividing men and women section.

women section


men section

Address: River Side Kojinguchi 1F, 92 Miyagakicho, Kamigyo Ward, Kyoto, Kyoto Prefecture 602-0853
Contact: +81 75 231 3499
Access: 6 minutes walk from Jingu Marutamachi Station (Keihan Railway)
2 minutes walk from Kojinguchi bus stop

location map

Aside from Kyoto Mosque, there are many other locations across the city for Muslim visitors to pray. Depending on the location, prayer mats and qibla indicator may be available. Please also note that some locations may require reservations in advance for use of prayer spaces.

You can check the locations here .

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It was so sad to see that women were not as welcome as guys were and still are. There's space for women however men fill that section when they don't have space to pray. I went there twice and I almost went back last Friday because they don't have space for sisters. The masjid is the only place that reminds me of home and my community yet It's unfortunate to not feel that sense of closeness in this mosque. Although EId is around the corner, I decided to pray at home every time so I'm burdening anyone at the Masjid! I also visited another mosque and again no place for women! I don't know where this trend comes from because mosques around the world would have a place for women regardless. Thank you for everything and I understand that you could say not many women show up or it's better for them to pray at home. I hope to build a place where women can pray and thank you for the experience brothers!