July 27, 2018

JJCM : Sushi Oribe @ ViPod Residences, Jalan Kia Peng

I really wanna blog about my Europe, China, Brisbane and Jogja trip.. but oh well.. lazy mode these days. But I have to blog about my special day! Even though already one month late..

So a kind soul treated me to a birthday lunch at a super nice sushi restaurant. Even though I am a Japanese food lover, I've never heard of this restaurant before because it's soo atas hahaha.

When the friend said he wanted to treat me lunch, and asked what did I want, without thinking much I said I wanted Japanese food. In my mind, I was expecting him to belanja me Ichiban Boshi or Sushi Zanmai.

"There's a good sushi resto in KL."

"Which restaurant? Where?"

"Vipod Residences. In front of Wisma HLA, nearby Pavilion"

That's all he said.

Ohh what restaurant is that? I was curious so I quickly googled 'sushi restaurant Vipod Residences' and results came to a fine sushi restaurant named ORIBE. Reading the blogs, I came to know that the sushis aren't cheap. Ermmm... okayyy. Wanted to cancel the plan cos I felt bad but then I thought, hey I didn't suggest this. He was the one who came up with the idea so I'm OK saja lah hahahahahhahha.

Worst thing if it's too expensive I'll pay half of it la.

So we met up in Pavilion and walked to the restaurant.

Once inside, the staffs ushered us to the bar counter. My friend did all the orderings before I could even opened my mouth. Well.. I trust your taste.


seating at the counter


the chefs

One by one, our sushis were prepared in front of us.


appetizer

yellow tail (kanpachi) 

sea bass (suzuki) 

horse mackarel (aji) 

tuna belly (ootoro)

First part done.

Then we were served wasabi to wash our mouths from the taste, you know.. just like you smell the coffee bean after smelling sooo many perfumes.


Have you seen wasabi leaves before? It was my first time!

Second part continued with Chawanmushi or steamed egg custard.

 the texture was amazing!

 botan shrimp (botan ebi)


scallop (hotate) 

**flounder fin (engawa)**

I forgot to take photo of the flounder fin (engawa) cos the chef didn't put it on the bar. Instead, he served it to me directly to retain its freshness. It was the bomb guyssss!!! It melted on my tongue when I put it in my mouth. Superb!

cholesterol bowl

My chef called that the cholesterol bowl. A special bowl with uni, ikura, negitoro and shiroebi on a bed of sushi rice. It was sooo good!

**roll sushi**

Also forgot to take photo of the roll sushi.

 miso soup

I forgot what were these two

my special dessert!

So he ordered the Iga set which came with an appetizer, chawanmushi, Chef's Specialty Sushi 8 pieces, roll sushi, miso soup, dessert and free flow green tea.

Thank you!!! (Now I have to think of something nice to return the favor haha)

My verdict: This is one of the best sushi meal I had outside of Japan. Highly recommended for good quality sushi. It is not just fresh, the texture and taste on its own is outstanding. The price is steep but hey good thing doesn't come with cheap price tag. If you're a sushi lover, you reallyyyy have to try it!! And I would definitely come back!

We sat at the bar counter, so we got to witness how the sushi pieces were made and get to interact with the chef. The chefs were friendly and professional at the same time; very attentive towards everyone, explaining each sushi they served and answering our many silly questions.

Don't forget to mention you want to sit at the bar counter when making the reservations as the seats are limited. If full, you have to sit at the regular table and the experience will not be the same.

Is it possible to order ala-carte, you wonder? Well, of course you can!
Here are the current menus for both set and ala carte.





Website: Sushi Oribe
Facebook: Oribe