December 2, 2013

Kyoto : Yasaka Shrine & Kyoto Tower

I loved the vibe in Gion. So I thought I'd give the area one last visit before I left the city.

After wandering around Hanami-koji street and Shijo Avenue, I headed to the bus stop.

But before that, I made a stop at Yasaka Shrine aka Gion Shrine. It's hard to miss this brightly painted shrine, and brilliantly lit at night, if you're in Gion. The shrine is located at the intersection of Shijo-dori and Higashioji-dori. I actually noticed this shrine the first time I was here but I thought it was already closed for the day. But I found out later that the shrine opens 24 hours a day!


main gate of the shrine


The shrine was first built in 656, but most of the buildings that remain today are from a reconstruction in 1654.





the stage and the illuminated lanterns

the shrine


In 869, a serious epidemic hit Kyoto and the mikoshi (portable shrine) of the shrine was paraded through the streets to ward off the disease. And that was the beginning of the Gion Matsuri, Kyoto's biggest festival which lasts the entire month of July.

Yasaka Shrine is open all day long, all year round
Entrance to the shrine is free
Access : From Kyoto Station, take Kyoto City Bus #206 or Raku Bus #100 to Gion

Although the shrine was actually open, I didn't stay there for long. Nobody was around, and it was dark. Well it wasn't that dark thanks to all the lighting, but still, I didn't feel comfortable being there alone in the dark.

So I walked to the bus stop, just several hundred meters from the main gate of the shrine, to go back to Kyoto Station. *mission to maximize my Kyoto City Bus One-day pass succeeded.. haha*

Anyway, just across Kyoto Station is the Kyoto Tower.


Standing at 131 meters tall, it is the tallest building in the city. It was opened in 1964 to coincide with the Tokyo Olympics of the same year.

The tower is not that high, and I've been to Kyoto Station's observation deck the night before so I figured I didn't need to go up. Kyoto's skyline is just average anyway cos the buildings here are mostly low-rise.

Kyoto Tower is open all year round
Visiting hours from 9 am to 9 pm
Entrance fee is 770 yen (adult), 150 yen (child)
Access : It is just across Kyoto Station

Back at the hostel, I had my dinner and then bid goodbye to all the staffs. I walked to Kyoto Station with a heavy heart. Finally it's time to leave this wonderful city. *sob sob*

I took the JR Kyoto Line to Osaka, stopping at Umeda Station, which only took me about 30 minutes. Umeda Station is one of the big stations in Osaka but luckily there's plenty of directions. I just followed the direction to the JR Loop Line to get to my hotel.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Mun, tau x what time is the last bus from the Shrine back to Kyoto Station? Nak maximise the day pass gak ni, macam rugi je kalau nak naik subway from Gion-Shijo. Thanks.

rara said...

@Bibie: Not sure the exact timing but their services typically finish around midnight. Alang2 dah beli day pass tu harus lah dimaximizekan.. hehe