November 27, 2017

Fushimi Inari Taisha

Fushimi Inari Taisha is an important Shinto shrine in Kyoto. This shrine is one of many located throughout Japan that was built to honor Inari, the Shinto god of rice. Foxes are thought to be Inari's messengers, so you'll see many fox statues around the shrine grounds.




The highlight of the shrine is the path lined with thousands of torii gates at the back of the shrine's main grounds. They were donated by individuals and companies, you can see their names and the date of the donation inscribed at the back of each gate.


I missed to visit this shrine during my trip to Kyoto in 2013. I guess I was more interested with Kiyomizudera, Kinkakuji and Ginkakuji then. I only discovered about this shrine after I came back to KL and regretted it! I re-visited Kyoto this year and made sure not to miss it again.


Timing is very important to get this shot because there's just sooo many people here. #determination

The row of torii gates lead to the inner shrine, in the middle of the sacred Mount Inari, which stands at 233 metres above sea level. The density of the torii gates decrease as you walk further so most people will turn halfway. But if you have the time and energy, the hike to the summit of the mountain and back takes about 2-3 hours. I didn't do it cos I went with my family. #reasontorepeat la kan. 

Entrance: Free
Opening hours: 7am ~ 6.30pm / 8.30am ~ 4.30pm (prayer)
Access: 3 minutes walk from JR Inari Station (second station from Kyoto Station along the JR Nara Line)
5 minutes walk from Keihan Railway Fushimiinari Station

No comments: