June 10, 2017

Umrah Ramadan : The first Umrah

We departed to Makkah on the morning of 20 Ramadan, to spend the last 10 days of the holy month in the holy city. Would be doing my very first umrah! Excited, nervous, syukur.. all kinds of feeling came to me.

Woke up earlier than usual, did my mandi sunat ihram, and off I went to the mosque.

I stayed at the mosque after Subuh and visited Raudhah for ziarah wida', to say goodbye to Rasulullah. Don't know when will I have the chance to come again..

We departed at around 10 am and stopped for Miqat at Bir Ali for ihram, niat and also the prayer.




Along the journey, Ustaz led the talbiah, zikir and all.

Labbaik Allah humma labbaik
Labbaika la shari kalaka labbaik
Innal hamda wanni' mata laka wal mulk
La shari ka lak

view along the journey



pit stop for Zohor prayer

We reached Makkah after about 6 hours on the road, including stop for Zuhur. Actually we reached Makkah earlier but we were stucked in the bus. The road leading to the hotel was jammed with buses and cars. I could already see Makkah Royal Clock Tower but the bus couldn't move! So near yet so far.

Finally, after half an hour stucked on the bus, we reached in front of the hotel. Alhamdulillah.

Makkah is super crowded during the last 10 days of Ramadan, almost like hajj period.
This is because in the blessed month of Ramadan, the reward of performing umrah is equal to that of performing hajj with the Prophet.

Checked in, put our bags in the room and prayed. It was past Asar so we just prayed in the room in case we couldn't finish the umrah before Maghrib.

We then gathered with Ustaz at the lobby for him to guide us to perform the umrah. My dad and sisters already came here a few times but they just waited together.

Just my family and a few other jemaahs followed Ustaz. The others already went on their own as mostly, this wasn't their first time. In fact, about 90% of the jemaah in my bus already perfomed hajj and umrah several times. Some of them come here every year! InsyaAllah if time and money permits, I also want to visit this holy land every year. Semoga dipermudahkan.

Walking towards Masjidil Haram, we kept on reciting the talbiah.

We entered Masjidil Haram through King Abdulaziz Gate. So many people but we still could walk through. We walked till the stairs and there.. I saw it.


Standing majestically, covered in black and gold curtain, the kiblat of our prayer, Kaabah.

The first time I laid my eyes on Kaabah.. MasyaAllah, the feeling is indescribable!
Walking down the stairs, my eyes were transfixed.

Allahu Akbar, La Ilaha IllAllah

So thankful to have the opportunity to be in this holy mosque and seeing Kaabah with my very own eyes.


so beautiful MasyaAllah


We moved down to mataf (the areas circling Kaabah) to perform the tawaf. Slowly, we walked towards Hajar Aswad, the starting point of tawaf.



 tawaf crowd between Maghrib and Isyak prayer

Ustaz pointed to green lights at one corner of the mataf, directly opposite to Hajar Aswad, and told us that green light is the marker to start your tawaf in case you can't see Hajar Aswad.

Passing the green light, I recited the niat and Istilam, and started my tawaf. The crowd was huge, but Alhamdulillah I managed to follow Ustaz. All the while, I just recited the doas in my umrah book, and also other personal doas.

Done 7 times, we went to area facing the Multazam (the area between Hajar Aswad and the door of Kaabah, where doas are accepted InsyaAllah) and performed the prayer. Took almost an hour to complete the tawaf and prayer.


Next, Ustaz guided us to perform Saie. We headed to the hill of Safa, niat there and proceeded toward Marwah. You will see green lights along the way. Here, men have to run but woman walk as normal.



the green light


designated path for wheelchairs 

Marwah 

Reaching Marwah, we recited the same doa at Safa earlier, and continued 6 more rounds, ending at Marwah. The saie area is approximately 0.5km each round. We have to do 7 rounds which means about 3.5km, all this while fasting. Ok I lied, we buka puasa half way hehe. Didn't manage to finish the umrah before Maghrib.

Drank Zamzam water, ate kurma, followed the Imam for Maghrib prayer and we continued our Saie till the end.

After ending the Saie at Marwah, we did the tahalul (shaving or cutting some of your hair) and that signified the completion of my umrah wajib.



it was sooo hot I couldn't open my eyes

Alhamdulillah. May Allah accept my umrah.

** all photos were taken after I completed my umrah, out from my ihram and it is purely to share the experience and for my future reference :) **

No comments: